Friday, August 31, 2012

Food Friday!: Chicken Taco Bowls



Food Friday!: Chicken Taco Bowls

So, I'm still pretty new to Pinterest. I have just started to use it as a resource for cooking, decor, and organization tips and I was pleasantly surprised when I found this recipe..and a crock pot one at that! Honestly, I have had some pretty bad experiences with dry, over-cooked, flavorless crock-pot meals. So much so, that I until recently, my crock pot spent much of the time under a layer of dust on a random shelf in my kitchen. Thanks to this recipe, though, I have pulled it out and really used it as a valuable appliance (for everything from making dinner to stocking up on shredded cooked chicken to cook with down the road)!  

This recipe is incredibly flavorful, and although it is easy to set up with only a handful of ingredients, it takes like I spent much more time making it. Try it! I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients

Chicken Breasts (about 1.5 lbs)
1 16oz jar of salsa
1 1/2 lb bag of frozen corn
1 15 oz can of black beans
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt (optional)
2 cups dry white rice
Shredded cheddar cheese to garnish
Fresh Cilantro to garnish

Directions

In a crock pot, place the chicken breasts. Mix together all ingredients except the rice and the cheese and cilantro (to be used as garnishes) and 1/4 cup of water and pour over chicken, making sure the chicken is completely covered.


Place lid on crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours (although my crock pot cooks hot, even on the low setting, and my chicken was cooked through after only 4 hours). I would recommend checking your chicken after 4 hours.

Prepare white rice according to package. Once chicken is done, shred with fork and mix. Assemble "taco bowl" by layering rice, then adding the chicken mixture, and adding cheese and fresh cilantro on top. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. i loved it a few weeks ago when i made it. I toped it with a chunky avocado, peach, onion, cilantro and lime salsa. To die for.

    ReplyDelete