Thursday, April 25, 2013

Through the Storm, He is Lord of All

During pregnancy, one can expect routine ultrasounds and doctor appointments.

Routine.
 
Tuesday's appointment certainly started off routine. But then the sonographer invited the doctor in to give me the news. I sat there on the table of the dark room with a tired Little T as the doctor described to me that little Baby Boy has numerous bilateral choroid plexus cysts in his brain and dilated kidneys. The problem really isn't that they are there, but more so that them being there can indicate a genetic abnormality. Something could be very wrong with the baby. The doctor said simply that he wanted me to speak with a genetic counselor before I left the hospital that day. An incredible load of information had been dumped on me to process about the precious boy growing inside, all while being mama to a perfect little boy who had not yet napped that day. My two-appointment routine day had turned into a three-appointment day definitely-not-routine day. My mind couldn't help but wonder...what if there really is something wrong with Baby? I never thought about being a parent of a special needs child. What if he didn't even survive the pregnancy? What if I never got a chance to meet my little boy before he returns to his Savior? What if I didn't bring this baby home from the hospital? What if Little T and Baby Boy never had the opportunity to play together?

I did go today to have blood drawn for further genetic screenings and they will continue to closely monitor Baby's growth and the progress of the cysts over the next months until delivery.

To say I was nervous going into my appointment today would be an understatement. Driving in, I turned on the radio to focus on anything else. At that moment, the song "Cornerstone" by Hillsong started playing. I was moved to tears.  

Thank you, Lord, for this sweet reminder that you are in control. The weak are made strong in Your love. That You will alone give us the strength we need to get through this pregnancy regardless of the outcome. That You can give this little one the strength he needs. You alone will give us all we need to parent this beautiful child that You have loved and planned for even before conception. Through this storm, when in moments it does feel incredibly dark, You are there and You are Lord of all.

The Lord knew I needed to hear this today!




8 comments:

  1. Wow! I will certainly be praying for you, this precious son, and your family. I'm so blessed by your reaching out to your Savior in this season. God's not through with any of you yet! I love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you all for your words of encouragement and support! The first round of screenings came back negative for any abnormalities and we will get the results from the second round in the next few weeks. We are hopeful for good results as he is developing normally! Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very scary to read this, but then I googled it and felt better. Sometimes all of our fancy science does nothing but give us a lot of anxiety! You and Aaron are wonderful individuals, and I have nothing but good feelings that all will turn out just fine! Love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy! Yes, science does make us more anxiety. Aaron is confident nothing is wrong, but you know me and my mama heart can't help but worry! Hugs to you and hope to see you soon!

      Delete
  4. Anna and Aaron holding your precious little family close in prayer! Love you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a good conversation with your Mom on Monday... looking forward to meeting this healthy little boy. How fun! He and Little T and his cousin are going to have blast growing up together. What size is Little T wearing?
    Auntie Meg

    ReplyDelete
  6. It doesn't really have anything to do with this blog post but I nominated you for a Liebster Award. No pressure to respond, I just wanted to let you know. Love you guys! http://journeythroughppd.blogspot.com/2013/10/liebster-award-yes-please.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers for you and your baby. Hope you get your baby in the best of health and the next round of screenings come out positive. Love and strength for you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete