Saturday, June 23, 2012

Food Friday!: Baked Brie with Blackberry Preserves




Baked Brie with Blackberry Preserves

As it turns out, you can have every intention of doing something (i.e. Food Friday post on Friday...hence the name), but with a new baby, there are a lot more higher priorities that come up. So, here is Food Friday on a Saturday. :)

The other night, I went to a Ladies Fellowship night that was hosted for our Sunday school class and we were asked to bring an appetizer. When I heard that, I thought: Something easy? Something quick? Something that looks nice but isn't much effort? Baked Brie! My mama would make this when we had people over for various functions. She would serve it with some favorite crackers/wafers and garnish the plate with grapes, which made it look truly beautiful! As you can see from my pictures, I forgot the grapes. :)


Ingredients

1 Puff Pastry sheet (found in the freezer section), thawed
1 wheel of Brie cheese
1/4 cup of your favorite preserves (I used blackberry)
Slivered Almonds, enough to garnish
1 egg, separated to use beaten egg white only

Preparation

Preheat oven to 425 degrees and lightly grease a cookie sheet (just in case the pastry dough isn't completely sealed, I would recommend a cookie sheet with a lip on each side).

When dough is no longer frozen, gently roll out puff pastry. I don't have a great surface in the kitchen for rolling out dough, so I rolled it out on a lightly floured sheet of wax paper. Once rolled, place brie wheel in the center, leaving the rind on. Then place 1/4 cup of preserves on the top of the cheese wheel.


Bundle the pastry dough up around the cheese wheel (now topped with preserves).



Brush dough with beaten egg white (which will help the dough stick to itself and hold together while also giving the dough a nice golden brown color when finished baking). Finish by sprinkling slivered almonds on the top to garnish.



Place on cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve with your favorite crackers. It's DELISH! I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment