Friday, August 26, 2011

Food Friday! : Blueberry Power Muffins

(For the lack of a better name...)

My childhood was filled with many many wonderful memories, and often those memories are paired with wonderful foods. My mom is an incredible baker/cook and she has passed on the love of good food and making good food to the three of us kids.

Therefore, to honor my Mama and all other people who have encouraged my passion for cooking/baking (you too M-I-L!), I have decided to add more posts with recipes...new finds and old favorites. Enjoy!




Blueberry Power Muffins with Almond Streusel
(a new find)


I found this recipe recently on Cookinglight.com and something about the picture made my mouth water, so I decided to make them. Sometimes when HH runs out the door in the morning on the way to the hospital with a cup of coffee and an over-processed breakfast bar, I am overcome with wife-guilt. I hope he likes this recipe enough to take one (or two) of these instead. Not to mention that those breakfast bars are rather expensive...

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups vanilla low-fat yogurt
1/2 cup 2% milk (I used skim)
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (thanks again Mama Morris for my Mexican Vanilla!)
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries (I had frozen blueberries left from the Saturday morning markets downtown and I just let them thaw before folding them in)
Cooking spray

(For Streusel)
1.4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup slivered almonds, chopped
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine flour, whole wheat flour, oats, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a wisk. Reserve approximately 1/4 cup of this flour mixture to "dredge" the blueberries. In a separate bowl, combine yogurt, milk, oil, vanilla, and egg, stirring until well mixed. Add this liquid mixture to a well in the center of the flour mixture and stir until just moist. Fold in dredged blueberries, making sure to add with it any remaining flour. Using a 1/4 measuring cup, spoon batter into muffin pan (sprayed with cooking spray).

For the streusel, combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix with hands. Sprinkle over the batter in the muffin pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched in the center. Makes about 25 muffins.




Has anyone else made these? What do you think?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment