Wednesday, March 14, 2012


To all the nerds out there, Happy Pi Day!! I know, I know...what 27 year old that is no longer in school could possibly have the time or effort to remember that today is pi day (3.14 = March 14th for those that don't get it)? I do! And I'm very excited about it. So, in honor of this special occasion, and frankly because Baby Boy was craving some pie, I made Mud Pie for dessert tonight and I listed the recipe below. Enjoy! It is super easy to make and it doesn't take much skill or effort, but it does require a little patience. This was one of the favorite desserts my mama used to make when I was growing up. Contrary to the reason why we are celebrating with pie, this recipe isn't an exact science... I kinda just wing it.
To Daylight Savings Time, I am so thankful that you are here! I can now officially say that Dr. Handsome Hubby gets home from work while it is still light out (sometimes...). Hallelujah! What a privilege it has been to spend some time outside in the evenings without it being pitch black. However, I am still really struggling in the mornings... hurry, summer, so it will be light when I wake up!
To my Handsome Hubby,  The other night as we were getting into bed, you called me a "princess"...which I instantly boycotted, because I have never in my life thought of myself or desired to be a princess. In response to my protest, you said, "You're right. Only peasants sleep with that many pillows..." Thank you for always putting things in perspective.
 


Mud Pie, a family favorite

Ingredients
 
Chocolate Graham crackers or Teddy Grahams
4 tablespoons butter
1.5 tablespoons sugar
Tub of coffee ice cream
A jar of Hot Fudge topping

Flavors can be adjusted as you like. Handsome Hubby doesn't like chocolate, so sometimes when I make this for just the two of us, I use cinnamon Teddy Grahams, Butter Pecan Ice Cream, and Hot Caramel topping.





Directions

In a sealed large ziploc bag, place approximately 8 graham crackers or approximately 2 cups of teddy grahams and crush until pieces are fairly small. Add sugar and melted butter and mix. Dump crumb mixture into a greased pie pan, or an 8" x 8" baking dish. Press into the bottom of the pan to make a crust. "Incubate" :) in the freezer for approximately 15-30 minutes to allow the crust to slightly harden.


Once the pie crust has hardened (or at least cooled), dump the tub of ice cream onto the crust and spread evenly. It helps if the ice cream is somewhat softened. Again, place dish in freezer and "incubate" for at least an hour.


Once the ice cream has re-hardened, heat up hot fudge topping in the microwave (or per the directions on the side of the jar). Pour topping on top of the ice cream layer and smooth evenly over the top. It helps to work quickly...otherwise you end up with quite the marbled pie as the ice cream begins to melt and mixes with the fudge topping.


Place in freezer for several hours. I usually make this at least a day before serving so it has plenty of time to refreeze. Mama always served this with crushed peanuts and whipped cream on top. Mmmmm... Enjoy this special treat!


1 comment:

  1. The pillow/princess story made me laugh.

    And, I had completely forgotten about him and chocolate. I used to be horrified (we once had a wrestling match over it) until I realized that just meant there was more for me.

    ReplyDelete